- About NorthSky
- Resource Center
- Professional Development
- Register for the Winter - Spring 2013 Professional Development Series
- Winter- Spring 2013 Schedule
- NorthSky Leadership Development Initiative
- Executive Coaching for Nonprofit Managers and Board Chairs
- Peer Learning Circle for Executive Directors
- Peer-to-Peer Coaching Circle
- Employment Opportunities
- Intern in Michigan
- Lawrence Tech University Center for Nonprofit Management
- Grants & Special Programs
- Organization Planning Calendar
- Select a Consultant
Background & Mission
NorthSky’s mission is to build strong communities by helping nonprofit organizations achieve and sustain excellence.
NorthSky Nonprofit Network was launched in 2007 through the leadership of Rotary Charities of Traverse City. A team of consultants led by Debbie McKeon, NorthSky's first executive director, utilized processes including needs assessment, environmental scans, market research, customer-focused program design, model comparisons, strategic planning, evaluation feedback loops, shared value propositions, strategic partnership development, systems design, phased business development and pilot programs to create NorthSky.
NorthSky’s work and success are based upon 11 principles:
1) We don’t have to do it all-, i.e. provide all the capacity building services-we assure all the capacity building services are provided.
2) We lead by example.
3) We are mission driven and focused.
4) We commit to assuring the highest quality services are available through the NorthSky Network, which is deep and broad with expertise and experience.
5) We offer one-stop shopping and no wrong door to access the network.
6) We utilize real-time performance feedback loops and act upon what we learn.
7) We are customer focused.
8) We invest in professional development and shared learning.
9) We are nimble and appropriately lean while investing resources to adapt as needed.
10) We are not afraid of mistakes but more concerned with recovery from mistakes.
11) We nurture leadership network-wide and build upon the creativity it inspires.
NorthSky has already achieved wide recognition for its accomplishments in strengthening the social sector and growing social impact especially through innovation, network development and partnerships. All NorthSky business lines have shown tremendous growth since its inception. The NorthSky Professional Development series currently offers about 45 - 50 different capacity building workshops annually that now reach over 700 participants, a 72% increase since 2007, from diverse sectors including nonprofit, education and government. NorthSky’s fee-based consulting, which leverages our unique consultant network model, has grown from 15 engagements in 2007 to 103 active engagements totaling over 6,000 hours of service already in Fiscal Year 2012 - an astounding 587% growth in service to the sector. NorthSky offers an average of 300 hours per year of free counseling, coaching and facilitation services to organizations and networks working to achieve social impact. NorthSky’s website receives over 24,000 unique visitors annually where visitors download over 7,000 resources per year.